.

Friday, May 24, 2019

Ohm’s Law Investigation Essay

Hypothesis Beca character I am using copper telegraph as a resistor, when I increase the continuance of the wire the opponent should work how resistors in series work. This means that when I increase the length of wire (or add a piece in a series circuit) the vindication should increase too. Due to the increase in the number of atoms and ions between the two terminals it takes the electrons longer to get from one side to the other. For example if I double the length of the wire the resistance leave double and the legitimate ordain halve. My graph at the end should look something like thisThe length of wire and resistance should be directly proportional to each other. Equipment -2 1. 5V cells -Metre ruler -Copper wire -Voltmeter -Ammeter -Wiring -Crocodile clips Method First I decided upon the type of wire I was going to use (copper), I made sure it was the same thickness each time I took readings because as aforementioned, if the louse up sectioned area is not kept constant, it will emphatically run the resistance and thus make my allow fors inaccurate. Then I measured it to 100cm by laying it across a metre ruler, because this way I potful be accurate to the millimetre.I thence hooked the 2 cells up to the copper wire stretched across the metre ruler using my wires and crocodile clips. I committed the two terminals on the metre ruler 40cm apart. For this examine I will take readings for p. d (potential difference) and the resistance using an ammeter and a voltmeter at distances ranging from 40cm to 100cm I will take measurements in 5cm intervals (i. e. take measurements from 40cm, 45 cm and so on so forth). I made sure that the voltmeter and ammeter were set up in agree not series as this would damage them. Below is a diagram of my apparatus and how I set it upAnd the (simple) schematic of the circuit In this experiment I will keep all things constant (apart from the length of wire). I will keep do all my measurements in one day in a short spac e of time in the same room away from the windows (out of the sun) so the temperature does not change noticeably while I am carrying out the experiment, as this would affect my results and make them inaccurate. Also, when charge flows through the wire and there is resistance, it generates heat in the wire. I will keep the power on the wire for the least amount of time and take my readings quickly so the temperature does not affect my results.In addition to this I will also stop a minute after each reading so that the wire cools to room temperature again and my results are accurate. In theory the graph-line should be at once if it isnt then it indicates that there is another variable. The other constant is the cross sectional area of my wire this is fairly easy to keep constant just use the same piece of wire. I obligate to keep this the same because cross sectional area of wire is proportional to the resistance if I do not keep it the same it will also make my results inaccur ate.I will take readings from each distance 3 times and take the average of those, so I can greatly decrease the chances of getting an anomalous result. Results Here is the results table followed by a graph representing each of the 3 p. d, Current and then resistance. Length of Wire (cm) Potential Difference (V) Current (A) Resistance (? ).And finally, to calculate the resistance I used the ohms law formula of R=V/I. Analysis My experiment was very successful and the results I got proved to be quite accurate and precise. Therefore my graphs and result tables provide me with a base to experience just why length affects the resistance. My prediction was that when I increase the length of wire the resistance should increase too my prediction is supported by my results and appears to be correct. The graphs and tables prove that the longer the copper wire, the higher the resistance.Resistance is also linked to charge flow, if I change the charge flow it will have an affect on the equa tion I = Q/t. If the current is changed then this will have an affect on the resistance. So with the help of the formulae I=Q/t and R=V/I, I now know that if I increase the charge flow, the current increases and the resistance decreases. Consequently if I double the length of wire the equation I = Q / t will be halved (due to the time increasing) causing the current to be halved and the resistance to be doubled.I can see one anomalous result in the Current graph, which is at a length of 80cm it appears to be at a slightly lower current than it should be in relation to the others. military rank Using my results and my graphs I can clearly tell that my experiment was successful, I can tell this because, generally, none of my results have any inconsistent results and my graphs show straight lines. Even after repeating my experiment many times my graphs still remained just as precise and the graph showing the average results of the experiment is a perfect straight line.The fact that I got the similar results each time I did the experiment suggests that is was successful and also reliable, thus I must have carried out the experiment well. The way in which I conducted the experiment was good because I made sure that the voltage supplied to the wire was equal each time, the cross sectional area of the wire remained the same, and also that the wire cooled down between each result. The use of mm instead of cm made sure that the length was exact and not longer or shorter. Therefore my results were successful and reliable for us to work from.However this did not mean that the way in which I did the experiment couldnt have been improved. Having to secure the wire so as to measure the length meant that it was difficult to attach the crocodile clips to exactly the end of the wire. I could not be sure that as I left the wire to cool it was not at a different temperature each time I begun again this could have affected my results if it had been vastly different. In my exper iment, I could also have investigated a number of other things, such as the effect of cross sectional area or temperature on the resistance.If I had looked at the effect that the cross sectional area had on resistance I would probably discover that as the wire doubled in cross sectional area the resistance would halve. This would be due to there being twice as many electrons the current would travel a lot quicker and thus decrease the resistance. If I looked at how temperature affected resistance I would probably find that as the temperature of the wire increases, the particles within begin to vibrate much more because they have some extra energy, therefore it is much harder for the electrons to move through and thus the resistance will rise.So instead of just investigating how length affected the resistance of a piece of wire I could also have investigated the affect of temperature or cross sectional area on the piece of wire Adam Burclaff Page 1 of 10 Show laggard only The above preview is unformatted text This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Electricity and Magnetism section.

No comments:

Post a Comment